Here’s our HVAC maintenance checklist to help keep your cooling and heating system in great shape.
It’s recommended that you hire a reputable HVAC Repair company to inspect and perform maintenance on your system in the spring and fall of each year. They’ll inspect and clean your unit on a regular basis to be sure your system stays in top shape for the summer and winter seasons. This will extend the life and efficiency of your system.
A few things you can do in addition to help are:
- If you haven’t already, purchase a high-efficiency pleated filter. Unlike regular flat filters, high-efficiency pleated filters are folded like an accordion, which allows for greater surface area and lower resistance to air-flow.
- Replace filters on a regular basis – we recommend every 90 days, if you have pets then it should be 30 days.
- Reverse your fans direction for each season. In the summertime, it should rotate counter-clockwise and in the winter clockwise.
- Ask your HVAC professional to perform air duct cleaning regularly to clean out the dust and debris in your ducts and vents.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat for energy saving settings.
- Check thermostats to make sure temperatures and timer functions are working correctly.
- Keep your unit free of obstruction. Cut back any shrubs or limbs within two feet of the unit.
- Clean the Condensation Drain Line to avoid clogs and potential unit failure.
- Check for damaged Air Ducts in the attic. Sometimes critters can get into your attic and cause damage.
- Replace old air conditioning units with a newer, efficient model. Ask your HVAC Repair Company for an estimate on a new HVAC installation and AC unit.
Do You Need HVAC Maintenance?
If it’s been a while since your unit has had preventive maintenance, schedule a routine heating and cooling maintenance check.